<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 26, 2004

We got a snow day today! Woo-hoo! Not sure why - there's only 3 inches of snow. But hey I'm not complaining. Any day I can spend the entire day in PJs is a good day.

I decided to fill out my FAFSA and do some research on fellowships during my unexpected day off. My taxes aren't done so I've hit a bit of a snag. I did read in the paper yesterday that the IRS has free online filing for people. Apparently the IRS is trying to cut down administrative costs of processing paper tax returns, and they finally figured out that the most effective way to get people to do that is to offer free filing (now that's a big DUH, if you ask me). This year, they're offering it through third party vendors, and some of the vendors have eligibility requirements, but the IRS seems to be working to make free filing available to everyone. Worth checking out.

Cornell has the best listing of Graduate Fellowships, by far. They have fellowships listed by area of study, and they also have lists of fellowships for women and minorities. And the fellowships aren't limited to Cornell, which is very giving, don't you think? I've also registered with FastWeb , but this search engine is full of annoying advertising, and the results it has yielded have not been all that great in my opinion.

There's a lot of talk about how much free money for school is out there. I agree that there's a lot of money, but it's a lot of restrictive money. Most the fellowships and scholarships I'm finding target very specific populations, like women who grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota speaking Creole. It's funny to hear companies and foundations complain about people not accessing their money, when they have so many restrictions on it. Oh well, off to find a fellowship for women who like puttering around in their PJs...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory