<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 05, 2004

This past week has been intense. Tuesday was my last day of work, and Wednesday preterm started. Since Wednesday, we've been inundated with new faces, new buildings, new concepts. It's slightly overwhelming. Despite the overwhelming feeling, I have to say that every moment has reaffirmed that I made the right decision to come to Wharton.

The first day was mainly fluff. Along from hearing speeches from Deans Harker and Jain, and Pete Kim, the WGA president, we were also treated to speech from magician Benjamin Levy about remembering people's names. Mr. Levy's speech was very entertaining - he pulled a bowling ball out of a brief case. I still don't understand how he did that.

The rest of my day was spent getting to know people, and going to the bookstore. I almost had a coronary when I saw the price of some the books. One of the accounting books was $150. That's right One Hundred Fifty Dollars. I KNOW!!! I'm hoping I don't need that one because I didn't slap down the money for it. I also paid some of my club dues yesterday, which was quite pricey. All and all I spent over $1,000 yesterday. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm glad I had the resources to take care of business.

I also sucked it up and got a Palm. Many of my friends and family had suggested that I get a PDA before, but I was very resistant. I always break the LCD display - which means I lose all my data. I've never broken a paper based calendar. And I always believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well as I was driving to Walmart to go get a new calendar, I thought of how much of a pain it would be to write all the stuff going on would be. So, I bit the bullet and got a Palm Zire 31. Please keep any negative comments about my choice to yourself!

Today, I went to my first official preterm class. This morning I attended a three hour long session of Math Boot Camp. The point of the math class is to help get everyone on a level playing field for the very quant intensive coursework at Wharton. The class started with the professor going over what a function was. I didn't expect the class to go to THAT basic of a level, so I was feeling all smart and superior. And then after the break the prof went started talking about logarithmic functions. And that's where he lost me. He was trying to make sure we understood the WHY not just the what of logs. I didn't get it. One thing I did learn though - never feel like your too smart or too superior at Wharton!


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory