<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 02, 2004

One of things I promised myself before beginning school was that I would go outside my comfort zone. I promised myself that I wouldn't let the discouraging voice in my head keep me from doing something new. And that's what trying out for Follies was all about. Ignoring the LOUD voice in my head that said I wasn't talented enough for Follies.

I don't have a lot of performance experience. Hell, the last time I was on stage I was in seventh grade. But I've always looked longingly at the stage, wanting to be up there. I like to sing, I like to make people laugh. But I was always too scared - too afraid to put myself out there. I let the fear of humiliation and rejection keep me from trying.

So in an effort to overcome my fears, I tried out for Follies. There were about 18 people called back for the second round. And not surprisingly, some of those folks are very talented. The auditions were kind of long. Yesterday, we spent a couple of hours learning part of a song from last year's show, performing in quartets, and doing a solo piece. Today we spent the morning learning a couple of dance pieces and the afternoon we did some improv and some scenes.

I had a lot of fun - I definitely humiliated myself. But it was a fun humiliation, which I know is kind of weird. I suck at dancing (and please save the comments about how that's genetically impossible for me to suck at dancing... trust me, it's possible). I'm not too great at improv or acting. But I had fun.

And even if I don't make it, I feel like I've accomplished something just because I tried. I feel more confident about trying new things and putting myself out there. I would love to have the chance to perform - I think that would be life changing. But if I don't make it, I'm okay with it.

We find out on Tuesday. Wish me luck!!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory