<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 18, 2005

So I still don't have a job.

The Dedicated Interview Period ending two weeks ago. Since the end of January I've interviewed with 7 banks - no job yet. And even though I knew going into DIP week that only half of the class would finish DIP with offers, I guess I didn't fully entertain the idea that I would be part of the half without offers.

And the worst part is I have to keep recruiting. I hate recruiting.

But I think something good came out of my DIP failure. I've been thinking a lot about my choice to focus on Investment Banking for the summer. When I started recruiting, I was interested in IB and Public Finance. I was leaning towards Public Finance, but then people starting telling reasons why that was a bad idea. And then they told me I HAD to do IB at a top bulge bracket firm in NYC. Or else my experience would be for naught. And although I don't usually get caught up in the herd, I listened. And because of that - I think I screwed up my recruiting efforts. I blame no one but myself.

The unfortunate thing about B-school is recruiting starts early. There's not enough time to explore and try different options. So you have to decide quickly. And it's easier than one would think to get swept up by the herd.

So what now? I'm still looking into some boutique IB firms, but I'm primarily focusing my efforts on public finance, venture philanthropy, and other "social interest" finance options. I don't know where I'll end up - but I know I'll get a job. And I believe it will be a cool job. I'll end up where I'm supposed to be. I just have to have faith!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory