<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Sometimes when it rains, it pours.

When I switched my career focus from finance to marketing and strategy jobs, the reception from recruiters improved significantly. Even though I have no direct experience in theses areas, these recruiters seemed more interested in my indirect skills, like financial analysis, writing, and modeling. So with that interest, I was able to generate more traction with potential employers. Now I have two jobs. (Any one else remember "In Living Color?" Hey, Mon. You lazy! You only got two jobs!! But I digress...)

In addition to the position in brand development, I am also working in strategic analysis for a major media company. Much of my time in this position will be spent doing strategic analysis on competitors, modeling, and doing fun stuff in excel. I'll also be working from home in this position.

The thing about working from home, is that actual work doesn't take as long as it would if I were in the office. You don't have to commute. You miss all the time consuming recaps about so and so's weekend escapades. And you don't have to hear repetitive stories about other people's children and how smart they are. Now, don't get me wrong - I love the kiddies. I just don't know if I want to hear a play-by-play every morning about little Johnny's run to capture 16th place in the local spelling bee. So without all the filler, work just takes less time when you work for home. And so I have enough time to do two jobs.

I'm really glad to have both opportunities. I believe both experiences will position me well for my full time job search (yes - I'm starting to think about this already!!) I'm already learning a great deal from both jobs.

I am a little weirded out by the fact that these companies trust me to do work in areas I've never worked. It's as if the they think that the first year of an MBA program endows special powers on an MBA candidate. It's a little scary actually. So right now my days are spent reading a lot so I don't sound like a blathering idiot when I speak to my bosses and colleagues. I hope I live up to expectations.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory