<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 28, 2005

I was feeling all nostalgic since I’ve been blogging for two years, so I was looking at my first couple of posts and ran across this:
What do I want to be when I grow up? I would like to continue to work
in the nonprofit world (once you go nonprofit you never go back!). I am
interested in researching how entire industries and fields evolve, and in
organizational leadership. I hope to work at a think tank or a nonprofit
consulting firm.

During my tenure at Wharton, I’ve tried to do EVERYTHING besides what I talked about doing in my essays. I even (unsuccessfully – Thank God) tried to be an investment banker. This year, I applied to a nonprofit consulting firm because I was interested in consulting and I thought the nonprofit twist would be a good fit.

It wasn’t until I interviewed with the consulting firm that I remember my passion for nonprofits. For a year and a half I’ve talked about my work in terms of achievements and responsibilities but anyone who’s ever worked in the nonprofit sector knows those things – the numbers of your job – aren’t why your there. You’re there because you believe in the mission. You’re there because you see your work as contributing more to the world than additional profits. So during my interview with the nonprofit consulting firm I actually got to talk about the mission of work I did and my passion for it, and it reignited my commitment for the field. It reminded me what I wanted to be when I grow up.

After first round interviews with the nonprofit consulting firm, I started to feel like my recruiting journey was sort of like the Wizard of Oz. I had to go on this rocky journey and went through many trials. But in the end, I find out “There’s No Place Like Home.” And after the first round with the nonprofit consulting firm, I decided I was going back to the nonprofit sector.

So what happened, you ask? I got the offer from THE JOB. I’ll be working for the nonprofit consulting firm, Bridgespan in San Francisco. I’m extremely excited about it.

My journey to find my next job has been rocky. But looking back on it, I realize that every single bit of it was necessary. I learned how to network from IB recruiting, and from consulting recruiting, I learned how to do the dreaded case. Both of things were necessary for me to get the job at Bridgespan. Most importantly, I was reminded what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Now don’t get me wrong. I’m still pretty bitter about how myopic and narrow-minded people in the for profit sector can be about the work done in the nonprofit sector. And I still intend to talk to Career Management about some of my concerns.

But I’m really happy about where I’m going. All through the recruiting process with Bridgespan I felt this fit, not unlike I felt when applying to Wharton. I knew that’s where I should be. I’m extremely excited that I’ll have the opportunity to do work about which I’m extremely passionate.

Because after all, There’s No Place Like Home.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Blogarama - The Blog Directory